media="screen"

Find Wines by Brand dd

In the old Gascon language, the word ‘Cos’ means ‘The Hill of Pebbles’. Appropriately named, Château Cos d’Estournel is situated on the banks of the Gironde River between Pauillac and St. Estèphe, where the property is clearly defined by the hill of Cos, reaching to a height of almost 65 feet. It is today owned by Michel Reybier, and continues to be managed by a member of the Prats family under the direction of Jean-Guillaume Prats. This renowned property produced distinguished wines since the early 1800s to the present day.

The 173-acre vineyard of Cos d’Estournel is divided into almost 30 separate parcels comprised of a limestone bed with top layers of gravel. Bordered on the west by the Atlantic Ocean and the East by the Gironde River, the vineyard benefits from a micro-climate that acts as a regulator, preventing extremes in temperature.

The vineyard is made up of 60% Cabernet Sauvignon vines, which are planted in the top layers of gravely soil and are situated on the southern slopes of the hill. The remaining 40% is planted with Merlot in the limestone bed on the eastern slopes. Plantation is extremely dense and the average age of the vine is 35 years old. Only the wines made from vines over twenty years of age will carry the name of Château Cos d’Estournel.