Pio Cesare Chardonnay L’Altro DOC
The Pio Cesare family’s unique winemaking method stresses minimal intervention to produce wines of particularly supple flavor expression. A ceaseless devotion to the individuality of each of the region’s wines informs Pio Cesare's choices in the cellar: shorter maceration, separate lot fermentation, judicious selection for barrel and large cask aging, and bottling schedules determined by the ideal structure of each wine. This allows Pio Cesare to craft wines of varying weight, ageability and drinkability as determined by the vineyard rather than market fashion.
Year after year, the wines of Pio Cesare are recognized for their consistency and regional expression. From world-class Barolo and Barbaresco to crisp Cortese and sweet Moscato, the wines of Pio Cesare offer exceptional quality and variety.
The name “L’Altro” means “the other” in Italian.
The grapes are sourced from family owned vineyards in Treiso (Il Bricco Estate), in Serralunga d’Alba (Colombaro) and in Trezzo Tinella (Bossania). 75 percent is fermented in stainless steel tanks and the remaining 25 percent in new French oak barriques. The wine is kept on its fermentation lees for five months, prior to the bottling, which occurs late in March after the harvest.
The wine is fresh, fruity and spicy, rich and creamy, with delicate hints of vanilla.
Varietals: Chardonnay and a small amount Sauvignon Blanc
Wine Alcohol: 13%
Aging: 75% aged in stainless steel tanks, 25% aged in new French oak barriques. Kept on the lees for 5 months before bottling