Founded in 1880 by brothers Adriano and Antonio, Ramos Pinto is run today by the heirs of these two energetic vintners. The House was acquired by Champagne Louis Roederer in 1990 and Owner Jean Claude Rouzaud calls Ramos Pinto "the jewel of the Douro." A visitor sitting on the porch at Bom Retiro, sweeping his gaze up from the valley floor to the vine covered terraces stepping up steep slopes and culminating in blue sky above, can appreciate his sentiments.
Among Port producers, Ramos Pinto enjoys the distinction of holding the largest proportion of vineyards in relation to its production, giving it a high degree of control over viticultural methods and harvest time. The House tends 187 hectares (460 acres) of prime vineyards in the Alto Corgo and Douro Superior areas of the famed Douro region, the mountainous valley formed by the Douro River and its tributaries.
The four quintas or estates that make up Ramos Pinto's holdings are the Quinta do Bom Retiro, Quinta de Ervamoira, Quinta de Urtiga, and Quinta do Bons Ares. Ramos Pinto blends single quinta ports from Bom Retiro and Ervamoira grapes, and a single quinta port from Urtiga.