Built in the 17th century, Château Loudenne is one of the oldest Crus Bourgeois properties.
Its history is inextricably linked with the British wine trade. Château Loudenne had many owners until 1875 when it was sold to two English brothers, Walter and Alfred Gilbey. The Gilbeys were influential wine and spirit merchants in London and producers of the gin of the same name. The wines of Loudenne prospered in the British trade and even survived two world wars. In March of 2000, the Château was bought by the Lafragette family who had established their reputation in the Cognac industry. In 2013, the estate was purchased by the Moutai group from the Guizhou province in southern China.
Geographically the Château is located on the last major gravel bank of the Haut Médoc with slopes that the lead down to the rivers edge. The close proximity to the river played out in the Château’s history as it was a major port for which all of the famous Bordeaux were shipped from before heading out to the Atlantic Ocean.
While this area is known to have a cooler climate than the rest of the Médoc, the river tends to act as a mirror and reflects the warm sun onto the vineyards.